Friday, March 12, 2010

It might be love...or simply a passing fad...

The best ten seconds of your life.
The best ten seconds of your life.

Some rambling thoughts....
I'm just going to throw this out there...I'm falling in love....with my ND400 filter... and before you ask and comment, no this isn't some sick man and machine type love... this is photographic love. I am starting to visualize and see a part of life that you just can't see normally. Life is experienced in the "here and now." We see life as it happens, there is no going backwards; no going forwards, only what we experience at this very present moment.

ND filters change this status quo; with them we can see time, so to speak. We get to see many seconds worth of time in a single shot... and this experience is one that is uniquely reserved for the photographic community.

And as a photographer I feel pretty darn lucky having that opportunity.

About the photo...
So tonight I've taken some time to get outta town and visit the parents back home. I do this for the family, a great home cooked meal and the photographic recharge I always get from visiting home. I never come away with amazing photos, there are the exceptions, of course, but I'm not there for great photos. I'm there for a recharge, which for me is just getting out there with the camera, and extending my skills at macro (running around the garden chasing bees is quite fun), catching the sunrise or sunset across the dam next door. Just simply being out there with the camera and no expectations of expecting great photos. (as above)

What's your method of recharging those photographic batteries?


J.P.

1 comment:

  1. Mine is to head to new places and conquer them. Even to go to old ones.
    New equipment definitely helps.

    I can definitely share the newfound love for the ND400, its a slice of magic pie, a clever little trick if you will... Much like the technique of star trails, it allows us to see in a slowed motion, of what's really happening, and that my friend, makes you feel pretty special to have captured it.

    Enjoy your recharge... i'm going interstate for mine.

    ReplyDelete